The following discusses an example layout of a home theater for 6 listeners with respect to the previously discussed recommendations. A 3/4 surround sound system was chosen and simulated in the acoustic simulation program Catt-Acoustic. The room dimensions are 8 m × 7 m × 2.8 m thus leading to a volume of 156.8 m3. The design goals for this scenario is as follows:
- Average reverberation time within 0.2-0.5 seconds for reasons of speech intelligibility
- Strong delivered direct sounds to every listener
- Good viewing angles and listening distance with respect to the screen size
- Smooth low frequency behaviour inside the room with little seat to seat variations
- Finding the optimum subwoofer locations for room mode control with an arrangement comprising the least amount of subwoofer possible to get reasonable results
- Proper surface treatments with respect to reverberation time, speech intelligibility and image broadening
Absorption Design Goal
A reverberation time of around 0.2 seconds as desired. The approximate amount of absorption needed to achieve the desired reverberation time can be calculated by using the Sabine equation:
Thus, the amount of absorption can be calculated as:
This obtained absorption value has to be achieved in each octave band and might lead to the desired reverberation time of 0.2 seconds.
In this post, we went to the Home Theater Design and examined its considerations. Items needed to mention audio improvements and other parameters will be published in future posts. These items will pave the way for creating a home theater with the highest quality.
The audio products offered in Saba intelligent systems, which include professional speakers and amplifiers and inakustik cables with their great variety and high quality, make it possible to implement any type of equipment according to the relevant needs.